Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Choices

I have been thinking lately. (I know, weird.) I was thinking about how all the little things in life add up. Even though they seem so insignificant, they end up shaping the person that you are, and the kind of life you end up with. I know I have heard this my entire life. "Make Good Choices!"- my parents always said. But it is so true. It just sort of hit me that what I am doing today will affect many many tomorrows to come. For example, (sorry, gotta use the dental knowledge!) flossing daily. Such a small thing. And it takes what? 45 seconds? And for 45 seconds a day, I can keep my teeth for the next 60+ years. And putting on sunscreen. Takes 30 seconds. Prevents cancer. Result- longer life. What about the choice to go to college? And Where you go? That makes a huge difference on the kind of friends you make. And the activities you participate in. Which determines your career. For the rest of you life. And you get to make this decision when you are 18 years old. And want to just play and hang out with friends. Holy cow. Second thought: I am glad that my dad didn't let me skip Sunday School. I tried to ditch. Really. But he would find me and drag me back. Time and time again. I am so glad he had the perseverance. I am glad my parents dragged us kids out of bed every morning before school to read scriptures. Small things. 15 minutes a day. I think it paid off. I have a strong testimony of Jesus Christ. I know he lives.
I hope I can remember to do the small things that make such a big difference down the road. I am forever grateful to my parents for guiding me and helping me reach my goals. Now I feel like the hard part as just begun. I have to do a zillion small things and hope that I do the right small things so my children are affected for good. For the rest of their life. Wow. Does anyone else feel like this is a huge challenge? And that our parents are truly amazing people.

1 comment:

Adam and Jess said...

Yes I've thought a number of times "Wow, how did you do this with eight kids".
I'm realizing that it's the little things too. We had never read scriptures with Gage or had Family home Evening with the boys until we moved here and now it's part of our routine. I feel like reading the scriptures with Gage has really increased his ability to read, fast.