Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 5- The Big Finish!


I thought I would throw in an elevation chart for the fun of it.  The first 2 days were tough, and the last 3 were pretty much flat:

We decided to wake up early(er) today and get going so we could try to be at the Capitol by 1:30 pm.  We got up early and were at breakfast by 7:15 am and on the road by 7:30.  It was a beautiful (crisp) morning.  I love the atmosphere at daybreak.  It is just amazing to me.  Everything always seems so new and hopeful.  We stopped to take a couple pictures of the 'downtown' area at Harper's Ferry.  Even though it seems deserted, the streets were PACKED with people the night before.  

We hauled our bikes back over the bridge onto the towpath and started peddling towards Tannon's campsite (which, again, was 5-10 miles further down the trail).  I don't know why the boys were feeling so generous, but they let me lead again today.  We really wanted to be done at this point.  It wasn't that we weren't enjoying it, but you could taste victory, or the end of our trip.  It was SO close and we were just shy of hitting 300 miles on our bikes. 

 The trail today was a challenge.  It was a muddy mess for the first 40 miles.  I felt like we were navigating through a swamp.  We were mud bogging on bikes.  I was still a little skeptical of the sloshy, muddy parts due to my 'stunt' the previous day.  I kept a decent pace only because I would go really fast in the good parts so I could go really slow in the bad ones.  Today was also 'buggy'.  The bugs really liked Bryan.  They kept trying to set up a permanent residence on his arms and head as we were biking...
(looking back at Harper's Ferry, you can't tell, but the whole village is on a point where 2 rivers merge.)
I didn't want the boys to feel like I was slowing them down so I pushed and peddled at a 'brisk' pace.  I found out when we took a break (3 hours later) that I was going about 14-15 mph.  Yes.  Finally!  I wasn't being a slow wimpy girl!  It really felt great to go that speed.  Until we stopped for a break.  Then my body was trying to tell me to get in a car or something.... We stopped for a very quick lunch on a very touristy part of the path where there were plenty of idiots out and about who didn't have any etiquette or courtesy.  You can see the annoyance on Bryan's face at this (old) lady who practically pushed us out of the way to take a picture of the river.  And there was a huge tree blocking her view when she took it.  If she would have moved to one of the sides of us, she would have had a great shot.  Dummy. 

Anyway.  We ate inhaled our lunch (jerky, dried fruit and nuts and the remnants of our bagels) and off we went. (again)  The tow path was changing here and the scenery was breathtaking.  Unfortunately, we were on this wild drive to be done so we didn't take pictures like we should have.  We were too focused on finishing and avoiding the millions of people walking/standing/taking up room on the path.  Its like the closer we got to DC, the more I would have to ring my little bike bell to politely ask pedestrians to get the heck out of the way.   Okay, i am exaggerating slightly (I tend to do that from time to time).  About 75%  of the walkers were great and would just make sure to stay on the right side of the path.  The other 25% wouldn't have a clue what the bell was for and moved further into the middle of the bike path so we would have to dodge them + the bikers/walkers coming the other direction. 
The canal at this point was not a murky mess.  It was almost sparkling clear (not that I would drink it- I had seen it in its entirety) and deep enough to support kayakers  and fishermen as well as birds and tons of other wild life.
(see how nice the canal water is?!)

  This part of the path was not what I expected.  I did expect the people.  But what I didn't expect was the absence of 'city'.  If I didn't know from the map that I was 15 miles out of DC, I would have never known!  The forest of trees was so dense and the undergrowth was crazy.  You couldn't hear cars or see any houses or big buildings.  It was nuts!  
The path at this point was very well maintained. (As expected)  We were able to get up to 16 mph at times.  We followed the C&O until 6 miles or so until the end.  Bryan saw a paved path and the rest was history.  We hit that sucker and flew on it until we hit Georgetown.  We manuevered through traffic and Bryan was our navigator to the finish.  We could see the Washington Monument!  And....
it was sort of anti-climatic.  We got there.  Yay...  That was it. 
We were pleased that we finished. And really hungry.  And tired.  We hung out ant took a couple more pictures.  Then Tannon's wife, McCall came to pick us up and drive us home. (Thanks McCall ;) )    The 1/6 of the mile I had to ride to get to her car from the monument was the most unpleasant time on a bike I have ever had.  I'm not even joking.  I was pretty stiff.  We had been enjoying a good long sit on the national mall for about 45 min.  It was amazing.  



In summary- Day 5.  We were just ready to be finished.  The scenery was the possibly the best of the entire trip.  If I had a do-over of this day I would not have put a time limit on myself.  I would have taken WAY more pictures, and taken the time to enjoy this last leg.  And I would strongly recommend a bell on your bike in this part of the trail.  
Looking back, my feelings about Day 5 changed.  I am so incredibly proud of what we accomplished.  We went 346 miles on a bike.  I actually hauled my crap stuff on the back of it.  We road in mud, sticks, rocks, pavement, dirt and everything in between.  I think we chose a great time of year to go.  It wasn't too hot and humid and there were minimal insects to deal with.  We really lucked out and didn't get rained on (with the exception of Day 1).  I felt like I trained enough to actually enjoy the ride and not spend every night in pain.  (though I was definitely sore every night)  It was an unforgettable experience that I wouldn't trade.  I would even ride it again.

 

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I can't believe you guys went that far! It's amazing! Congrats on such an accomplishment. The pictures were great to look at and I really enjoyed reading about all of your adventures.

You should get light room. It really is amazing!

Alexandria Rammell said...

Again! Crazy! But awesome soo awesome.

Adam and Jess said...

Whoa, that was a lot to catch up on. You guys took some really cool, scenic pictures and it seemed like a great way to spend time together. It's just really cool that you can say you did it!

mccall said...

These pictures are beautiful! I'm so glad you guys were able to do that - what an accomplishment! I am so sorry you guys had to wait 45 minutes for me! And that riding to my car was the most unpleasant ride of your whole trip :) You guys rock.

Ironygirl said...

This is so awesome. I am amazed! What an incredible thing you did! I enjoyed reading about it from my nice comfy computer chair.