Monday, May 2, 2011

Getting ready

   I am sitting here on the computer compiling list after list of things that need to get done before we leave for our bike trip. Well, I was.  And then I got distracted and was surfing the web.  It seems to happen more often than I am willing to admit.  We leave in 2 days.  I am so excited.  Here is the grand plan-

Wednesday- McKeesport, PA to Confluence, PA (71 miles)
Thursday- Confluence, PA to Cumberland, MD (63 miles)
Friday- Cumberland, MD to Hancock, MD (60 miles)
Saturday- Hancock, MD to Harper's Ferry, WV (64 miles)
Sunday- Harper's Ferry, WV to Washington DC (61 miles)

It should be interesting to see me try to pack for this length of time and carry so little.  What is REALLY necessary? And then I think of how gross my clothes are going to be at the end of every day.  Everything I am taking has to fit in my Camel-back (which will mainly consist of food and water), and another small backpack that I am bungee-ing on to the back of my bike on a little metal rack.



We dropped our bikes off at the shop today for a 'tune up'.  I went grocery shopping for more Cliff Bars than I have ever bought in my lifetime.  I dragged out all the 'travel size' toiletries.  I have even made the list of the kids' schedules and stuff like that for my awesome friends that got suckered into watching Peter and Brooke. (they rock!!!)

I am looking forward to a good 5 days of sweat, sun, rain, beautiful scenery, and a really sore bum. Bring it on.

4 comments:

{kim} said...

You guys are crazy! I wouldn't mind riding that far, but I would need a shower and bed each night. Anyways, have fun on your "date" and take lots of pictures.

Rachel DeFreese said...

Enjoy, that's awesome!

Tera said...

The anticipation is killing me! I am excited to hear about your trip!

Thompson Family said...

I am so pumped for you!!! Good luck! I can't wait to hear all about it!