Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Part 2. How I learned to run

When I finally identified 'the problem' I decided I could try an experiment.  Turns out it worked for me and I am now an avid runner.  Not really a speedy runner by any definition.  But I am consistent, and to me that is way more important.
Here is how I learned to run.
 1.  You need 1 of 2 things, either an ipod with some awesome tunes, or landmarks when you run.  It's better to do this NOT on a treadmill.  (in my opinion anyway)
   Start your playlist, and start SLOW.  Like, slow enough that your best friend could power walk next to you and pretty much keep up.  Walk until the chorus comes on, then slow your pace down even more to a brisk walk.  Do this the entire song.  Then when the next song comes on, try to keep your slow jog going through at least the first chorus.  Then do the fast walk thing through the rest of the song while slowly jogging the verses of the song.  When the 3rd song comes on, try to jog the ENTIRE song.  Don't worry, you will get rewarded- when you get to song 4, you can walk the whole thing! 
  Then repeat until you have been moving for 20-25 minutes.  (You should be going slow enough that you could carry on a conversation. 

  This method works with landmarks too. Pick something in the near distant future you will be passing, and jog to it. You can slow to a walk when you get there.  Then pick out your next obstacle to jog to again. ect. ect.  I just find it is harder to ration my walking time this way and I wuss out and walk WAY too much.

Repeat this routine for at least a week.  Try to work out at least 3-4 times per week.

The next week, cut out your walk song and replace it with just walking through the chorus.  Keep your slow speed and your total running time to about 25-30 minutes. Try to work out at least 3-4 times this week as well.

Also, PLEASE STRETCH your muscles.  It is SO important to prevent injury.  I am OCD about my routine.  I 'warm up'- which is usually the first 2-3 minutes I'm jogging (it would be more or less depending on the distance I am going to run)... Then I stop and stretch my legs for about 5 minutes.  And then at the end of my jog I stretch again for about 10.  I know it is weird to stretch at the beginning of a run, but I swear it has saved my knees. 

Around week 3 you should be about to jog through 2 songs in a row without taking it to a walk.   Try to be consistent with how often you run.  If you can do it 3x a week your body will adapt to going further distances easier than if you are only running 1-2x a week. Pretty soon you will be running 5k's!  Just stick with it.
Don't focus on 'trying to run 3 miles' or some other far distance when you first start.  Just be patient with yourself and focus on 'trying to jog an entire song'. 


Also, you WILL have bad runs.  It happens.  You will have really good runs too.   Here is the thing...
You CAN do it.  Don't give up!

If any of you have methods to increasing your distance and weird running rituals, I would LOVE to hear them!

2 comments:

Sara Lucinda Bell said...

Hi Jamie, love the blog. Your kids are so cute!
These two running posts are great for me because I've been running but so off-and-on, and maybe this will help me to get more consistent with it!

Tera said...

Good idea!