Thursday, November 18, 2010

Ewwww. Mouse!

Let me start this story out at the beginning...
Last Thursday evening, I put the kids to bed, and Bryan left to play basketball.  I was enjoying some much needed quite time on the couch. All by myself, (That doesn't happen too often) when all of a sudden I see this little thing catch my eye.  I hesitate, and look up.  It was a mouse.  And from the looks of it he was pretty familiar with the way things work in our house.  He ran straight under the kitchen table, to the spot where Peter sits and drops food all over the floor when he eats.  My furry little friend found some treasures on the floor.  Then I got up to see where the heck he was going to run off to.  I bit my lip and resisted the urge to make some kind of sound (preferably a really girly scream).  He took off at half the speed of sound when he saw me. (Believe me, I wanted to do the same.)  I then learned that whoever built our house did a poor job of finishing the details.  There is apparently a space of about 1/2 inch where the baseboards don't meet the bottom of the cupboards.  He jumped right over the molding and into that little 'mini' crawl space below my cabinets.  Ew. Ew. Ew. 
Now what???
Of course.  I freak out.  I call Bryan.  No answer.
Whats a girl to do when hubby doesn't answer??? duh.  Call my Dad.  He is as calm as ever. And probably rolling his eyes at me on the phone because I can't see him. 
"Jamie, just buy a mouse trap."
Ya.  I KNOW that.  But its just the thought of sharing my house with a nasty little rodent.

Part II
We set out glue traps.  You know, the non toxic kind because I didn't want Peter to come downstairs in the middle of the night and get his fingers shredded by the other kind. I go to bed with a tiny bit of peace of mind thinking we only have 1 more night to share with Mr. Mouse.

Wrong.

He alludes the traps. 

For 6 days.

I am a wreck.  Ok, not really.  But it does bother me. 

Desperate times call for desperate measures.  Bring in the Peanut Butter.  Bryan puts it right in the middle of the glue trap.  But he REALLY wants to make sure the mouse wants some.  So he uses about 3 tablespoons.  We really went all out and set 2 traps.  Right in the middle of the kitchen floor.  We go to bed. 

5:30 AM  Bryan wakes me up and says- "Hey, did you do something with one of the traps last night?"
               Me- "no"
               Bryan- "Well, its missing"

WHAT?!!!

You heard him.  It is missing.  How the HECK does one loose a mousetrap???  With a year supply of Peanut butter on it?  Bryan left for school.  And I just lay in bed thinking of all the insane possibilities.  What kind of mouse is this?  I am unfortunately wide awake. 
I searched the house.  No trap.  And no signs of a struggle.  There wasn't any peanut butter on the floor or anything!!!  I come to the unfortunate conclusion that he is Mighty Mouse and jumped back over the molding, half stuck in the glue, now with a year supply of food right next to him.  oh geez.

At least my sister has more sense than me.  She tells me to check under my oven.  No way in heck am I gonna look under there without Bryan being home.  I tell her I will have him check when he gets home.  And all day long all I can think about is this little thing staring me down with its little beady eyes from somewhere in  my kitchen. 

And of course, Haley is right.  Bryan comes home, and we find him, stuck in the glue, eating peanut butter, and staring at us from under the oven. 

Ew. Rodent found.  Rodent gone. Thank you peanut butter, glue traps, and Mr. Mouse for giving me such an awesome week.

3 comments:

Kimi said...

Jamie that is disgusting!! I HATE mice! You were MUCH braver than I would have been. I don't think I would have come down stairs until that mouse was found and DEAD! Haha, glad you finally found it. Sneaky mouse...

Helena said...

Hahaha, I am so sorry. Mice are the worst.

Rachel DeFreese said...

EW sick! That made me gag a bit.