Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Who gone and dunnit?!

 Mr and Mrs. Ryan and Emily Brewton!

Yup.  He did.  My little brother gone and tied the knot...
We had the traditional "Rehearsal Dinner"  at Texas Roadhouse with the families the night before.
These pictures are in no way professional, when I get those I am sure I will post some of them too.








I love how Peter is checking out his belly button...





Okay...the cake...
1. SO much work.
2. did I mention lots of work?
    What I learned:
          - When placing fondant on the tiers, start on the bottom.  This was the first time I have EVER made a square cake and I wasn't sure about the seams. I had it down by the middle of the second tier.  Sadly, I was an idiot and decided to do the top one first thinking "its the smallest". Ya, that and the TOP. The one EVERYONE sees.  The seams were a little rough and the fondant started tearing when I was placing it.
           - Buy GOOD pans.  I tried to go cheap because I wasn't going to transport them back to the 'burgh.  Big mistake.  The smaller layers were okay, but the bottom layer kept breaking in half when I took it out of the pan.  It kept sticking and it was AWFUL.  I had to make it 3 times before it came out okay.  Next time I will buy high quality pans.
          - It takes more time than you think.  It took me 8 hours total time.
          - I make the cake from scratch.  Good call.  It tasted awesome. Chocolate cake with white fondant was tricky.  I had chocolate frosting too (from scatch).  Note: next time, do NOT refrigerate the frosted cake.  The flaws in the frosting WILL show through the fondant.
       
It was in no way perfect, but I feel like the camera really shows all the flaws in the cake.  It looked a little better in real life.  I had a blast making it and hope to practice more so I can get an even better cake next time!




My brother was so sweet, he wrote and sang a song for Emily


4 comments:

{kim} said...

Jamie, your cake looks awesome! You are very talented! Cute pics. Ryan is brave, I would rather die than sing a song for somebody!

Rachel DeFreese said...

Gorgeous, both your family and your cake! One day I'll take a cake decorating class, but until then I'll just idolize you and your talent. Good job, Jamie!

Adam and Jess said...

I didn't realize how much I had to catch up on. They are a cute couple. That's sweet that he sang to Emily. I think your cake turned out great. I still would be scared making one for someone's wedding. I bet it will be fun to have another married couple to relate with and joke with now.

Shandi said...

jamie
you cake looks awesome! I have taken decorating classes too. So heres a tip for you next cake. Cheap pans are fine. Just put some wax paper on the pan and grease the paper. it comes out great!!